๐ Week 5 Learning Journal Markov Assignment
This week’s focus was the Markov assignment, and it pushed me to think more deeply about how to structure code based strictly on specifications and UML diagrams. At first, the project felt a little overwhelming, but breaking it down step-by-step helped me understand how the logic was supposed to work.
๐ฅ Who I Worked With
This week I collaborated with Lee and Brian. We all had slightly different approaches, so talking through our strategies really helped me see where my design was solid and where it needed more clarity.
๐งญ My Strategy for Solving the Assignment
My approach started with translating the specifications and UML diagrams directly into code. I began by:
Declaring all the required variables and method signatures first
Leaving each method blank at the beginning
Using Android Studio’s shortcut tools to automatically generate getters and setters
Then filling in each method by following the logic described in the specs
Once the structure was in place, I continued method-by-method. This helped me understand why each function existed and how everything connected to form the Markov model.
I also mapped out parts of the logic on a board before coding, to visualize how the methods would interact.
๐งช Did I Start Coding Right Away?
Not completely I planned out the classes and methods first using the UML and wrote the skeleton structure. After that, I started coding and troubleshooting step-by-step.
๐ฅ My Classmates’ Strategy
Lee’s strategy focused more on coding first and adjusting as needed. He referenced the UML, but he jumped into the implementation faster than I did. Brian took a hybrid approach some planning, some coding.
Compared to them, I might have spent more time planning than necessary. They helped me realize I could speed up the early steps and get to testing sooner.
๐ How I Would Change My Strategy
If I could redo this assignment, I’d spend less time planning and start implementing earlier. That way I could catch mistakes sooner and iterate on the logic more efficiently.
๐ง According to My Classmates, How Did My Code Look?
They mentioned that at first, my code looked a little hectic and wasn’t fully running yet. After revisiting it and cleaning things up, the logic became much clearer and the code worked better. The specs pushed me toward more organized and readable design.
๐ Google Java Style Guide How Well Did I Follow It?
My classmates and I talked about this, and overall the structure followed the Google Java Style Guide fairly well. There were a few spots I needed to clean up:
Bracket placement
Consistent naming conventions
Proper spacing
Comments where needed
I also learned you can automate a lot of the formatting through Android Studio’s Code → Reformat tool and by turning on auto-formatting.
๐ก Most Challenging Part
The most challenging part was making sure the logic matched the UML exactly especially tracking how each method interacted with the chain of states. Making sure each method behaved according to the Markov model took a lot of attention to detail.
✨ Most Interesting Part
The most interesting part was seeing how a Markov model works under the hood. Once the code started coming together, I realized how powerful the pattern is for generating sequences and predictions based on probabilities.
๐ What I’m Most Proud Of
I’m proud that I stuck with the specs and learned how to build the entire class architecture before writing the actual logic. That approach helped me understand the project far better than if I had just jumped directly into coding.
๐ How I Celebrated Completing the Assignment
I didn’t really celebrate yet — but I probably should. Dr. C always says to celebrate the victories. When this week calms down, I’ll take a moment (or a good snack) to acknowledge the win
9/16
What are the top 3 items that you are good at, and what are the top three areas you feel you are weak in? Weakness When I reflect on my study skills, I can see areas where I am developing strengths as well as places I still need improvement. One of my current weaknesses is my study space. While I know it should be a quiet and comfortable place, I am still transitioning from my house setup and often find myself distracted, which makes it harder to stay focused. Another weakness is my note-taking. Although I do take lecture notes, I realize they could be improved. For example, during a group project, I created some HTML and JavaScript for our website, but I should have taken better notes earlier in the process to manage my time more effectively. A third weakness is staying consistent with organizing my study sessions; while I gather materials before writing, sometimes I delay starting, which slows down my momentum. Strength Weekly Ac...
Comments
Post a Comment