My Educational Goal in the CS Program My goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the software lifecycle so I can confidently plan, design, implement, and maintain projects from start to finish. I also want to strengthen my knowledge of databases and algorithms, so that I can not only understand the theory but also apply it effectively in real situations. Along the way, I will develop projects that showcase both lifecycle principles and solid use of databases and algorithms, giving me tangible work to highlight my skills.
My Career Goals My career goal is to transition into a software development or DevOps role where I can apply my knowledge of the software lifecycle, databases, and algorithms to build efficient, reliable systems. I want to earn certifications in cloud computing (AWS or Azure) and use those skills to design and maintain scalable solutions that make a real impact in an organization. Within the next few years, I envision myself working as a developer or DevOps engineer who contributes to meaningful projects, collaborates with teams to solve complex problems, and continues to learn and grow in both technical and leadership skills. Long-term, I want to build a stable career in technology that supports my family and allows me to mentor others entering the field.
Part Three: My Percentile Guess I think I would score around the 60th–70th percentile if I took the exam in 18 months. The test covers a wide range of areas discrete structures, algorithms, systems, programming, software engineering, and databases Right now, I feel strongest in programming fundamentals and software engineering concepts, and I’m actively improving in databases and algorithms. Over the next 18 months, I plan to strengthen my knowledge of discrete structures, algorithmic complexity, and systems areas where I currently feel less confident. With continued coursework, practice, and project work, I believe I can raise my performance above average, but I also recognize that some sections (like advanced data structures or automata theory) will still challenge me. That’s why my realistic guess is 60th–70th percentile strong enough to reflect solid preparation and growth, but leaving room for improvement as I continue learning and applying CS concepts.
Part Four: Learning Journal Update This week, through the readings and activities on ethics, I learned to recognize and compare two different argumentative and ethical styles that I had not clearly seen before. Understanding how these frameworks shape arguments helped me think more critically about how positions are built and defended. I was also able to connect these lessons to my current job, where we regularly work with regulations and compliance. Being able to identify different ethical approaches gives me a better perspective on how policies are interpreted, applied, and sometimes debated. This connection made the material feel practical and directly relevant, not just academic.

Comments

  1. Hi Alexander,

    After reading your learning journal post I noticed we have similar academic goals. For myself I want to deepen my understanding of data structures and algorithms. I feel having these skills will make us better candidates to employers. I can assume there will be a lot of need for this in DevOps work so your focus seems perfect. What stood out to me in your post was what you are working towards outside of just a degree, that being AWS/Cloud system certificates. I actually took a free Google IT with Python course via job train online on my area. It was online and it focused on DevOps working with virtual machines, Linux/Unix system and cloud tools.

    I enjoyed learning about your goals in academics and your career focus it seems like you have a direct path to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alexander,

    I think that going into DevOps with the idea of getting an AWS/Azure certificate makes a lot of sense to break into the industry. Comparing this to my own, while I intend to go into a different niche of CS, I agree with you that the intended effect I seek with this class is to learn how to implement abstract CS principals in the real world.

    Great learning journal, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You educational and career goals are clearly defined and practical. It seems like you understand what is needed in order to succeed in computer science field. By planning to create projects that showcase your skills, you are setting up yourself up with a portfolio which can stand out to employers. Trying to earn cloud certifications like AWS or Azure just shows an awareness of the current industry demand. It is also inspiring of you to not only have a professional growth but also mentor others through your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9/16